I've Moved!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

supposedly healthier banana bread.

The thing is... I don't like uncooked bananas. 


They have this sorta dry starchy taste which really puts me off. BUT apply some heat to them and its a whole new ball game.


I like caramelized bananas. Sprinkle them with brown sugar, cinnamon, 200C oven for 5 minutes and oomph... so good...


Sauteed bananas? Sure, why not? Coat with brown sugar, saute them in butter, add some rum... Nah, just kidding. I can't drink rum yet! But I have to say, I do love the smell of it!
I got the recipe from here. This blogger made a healthier version of her mom's banana bread by replacing one whole egg with 2 egg whites instead and using applesauce, and replacing some of the sugar with Splenda, all the while without compromising on flavour.


Even though there's nothing wrong with good old banana bread, its too tempting to pass up an opportunity to make a Coconut Pineapple Banana Bread. 


Now that sounds goooooood. 
This bread is extremely moist and chockfull of bananas, thanks to the 3 bananas per loaf the recipe called for. 


The coconut and pineapple make it even better! I felt like I was in Hawaii!
I toasted a 1/2 cup of shredded sweetened coconut in a 180C oven for 5 minutes...
and added 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple wannabes before mixing them into the batter at the last stage. 


I say wannabes because I all I had were cubed pineapples, which would exude too much liquid if I used them just like that. So, I halved the cubes, flattened them with the back of a fork, then halved the halves for smaller pieces. 


Flavour-wise, this recipe was great! However, I would prefer a more sturdy, cakey sorta banana loaf. If you have any wonderful recipes to share, please do. I am always open to try new banana bread recipes!

No comments :

Post a Comment