I've Moved!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

weirdly shaped rugelach.

It's not shaped like a rugelach, it's rolled up swiss roll style, and it's one word.


Awesome.


I can't believe I took so long to make this! Barely five minutes out of the oven, I pounced on the biggest and most un-rugelach like of the lot, took a bite, and sailed to heaven. Toasty pecans and walnuts, sweet raisins and cranberries enveloped in a flaky cream cheese dough. Warm, cinnamon-y, gooey from the caramel yet not too sweet...


You. Have. To. Make. This.


Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to type out the recipe but it should be the same as any other rugelach recipe. Just roll out the dough, spread some apricot jam, shower with cinnamon sugar, top with nuts and plumped up dried fruits and roll the whole package up swiss roll style. Let it do some chilling in the fridge, egg-wash the whole roll before baking, slicing into individual pieces after its egg bath then tossing each into more cinnamon sugar but with nuts as well. Finally you can arrange your rugelach on the baking sheet, pop them in the oven until golden brown and ready and eat. Say no more, just eat.

I ate this one!
 I loved loved loved the cream cheese dough! Super flaky, tender and buttery, I so badly wanted to shamelessly devour another. The fact that I made these larger than the recipe instructed was the only thing stopping my barbaric behavior.


These are dangerous. Make sure you have company around, or at least someone to give some away to. Your waistline will thank you for it.


This recipe is from BAKING WITH JULIA by Dorie Greenspan. I just love her! She's my idol.


Shaping these was such a bother but 100% worth the effort! It was so hard to try to roll up the dough without spilling the abundant fillings. Some even unrolled themselves! I scaled down the recipe and it was supposed to yield 8 but me being me, I got 6. Oops.


Perhaps I should have made them into 4 instead...

No comments :

Post a Comment