I've Moved!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

potato chip cookies.


I expected the cookies to be a little more salty but I was wrong. These are just sweet crunchy shortbread cookies with barely a hint of salt. Perhaps it was the brand of chips I chose that wasn't as salty as I would have liked.



You could opt to dip them in chocolate or go au naturel. I used some leftover ganache for their chocolate bath. I hate to be radical but I preferred those left undipped. The cookies weren't salty enough to provide a sweet-salty contrast with the chocolate. Maybe if you make them saltier, the chocolate dip would be more justified.


These cookies are potentially great cookies. They just need more potato chips, and I've reflected that change below.


Potato Chip Cookies
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
makes about 36

I made just one change to the recipe, which is to replace 1/2 cup of chopped and toasted pecans with 1/2 cup of finely crushed potato chips instead.

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp table salt
1 cup finely crushed potato chips (leave some larger pieces for texture)
2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar
extra crushed potato chips, optional
sea salt, optional

Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets.

Cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and table salt. Add the potato chips and flour and mix until just combined.

Place the other 1/2 cup of sugar in a small bowl. Scoop a tablespoon-sized mound of dough and form it into a small ball. Roll the ball in the sugar until coated and place on the prepared baking sheet. Space the cookies about an inch apart. They do not spread much. Flatten the cookies and sprinkle with the extra crushed potato chips and sea salt, if using.

Bake cookies until lightly golden at the edges, around 15 minutes.

1 comment :