I've Moved!

Friday, August 31, 2012

vanilla madeleines.


I made chocolate nutella madeleines the last time, so now I'm going to the other end of the flavour spectrum to make vanilla madeleines, recipe also from Baking by Flavour.

I had high hopes for these madeleines because of the immense success I've had with the other two recipes from this book. A few more of such wonderful recipes and I'd trust Lisa Yockelson fully. Sadly, I wasn't that wowed this time, because the cakes were not vanilla-y enough and tasted eggy and weird on day one (I couldn't pinpoint exactly what made them taste "off"). The second day, they tasted fine though. However, I must mention that I did alter the recipe slightly. I left out the vanilla bean and used vanilla bean paste instead, and did not use vanilla-scented sugar because I didn't have any. So, sure they were decent madeleines, but definitely not memorable.


Oh and my oven is functioning wackily. One moment it's on "bake" and the next moment it's on the "grill" function, which explains the burnt tops and flat surfaces. I baked the madeleines for only 8 minutes but look at the damage! I don't think its safe to use my oven for a while until the problem is resolved. How will I survive?!


Vanilla Madeleines
recipe from Baking by Flavour
makes 19

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
6 tbsp butter
1/3 cup + 3 tbsp vanilla-scented sugar
seeds from 1/4 vanilla bean
2 large eggs
1 tsp intensified vanilla extract
2 tsp heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour madeleine molds.

Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into a bowl twice.

Cream the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla bean seeds and beat until the mixture appears light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one by one, mixing to incorporate the first before adding the second. Blend in the vanilla extract. Add the sifted ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the heavy cream.

Divide the batter amongst the crevices and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of a madeleine comes out clean. Cool the madeleines in the pans on racks for 1 minute before unmolding.

2 comments :

  1. Two vanilla-based ingredients were left out of the recipe--the direct result of a lesser impact of vanilla flavor. One suggestion in order to asses a recipe would be to use the ingredients recommended, then experiment further!
    From Lisa Yockeleson, author of Baking by Flavor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have factored in my substitution of the ingredients:) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete